Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Creamsicle - review, swatch and rant

7:42 PM



I wasn't actually going to review this one. Something about the hype and the ridiculous up-pricing for the Australian market, that these are basically drug store brand tinted lip balms going for over A$20 really pisses me off. So much, that when I was sent a Lip Butter in Creamsicle in a Aus-US swap, despite originally requesting to be sent it, I gave it a dose of Bitchface and dropped it into my bottomless box of products.


After seeing everyone everywhere swatch and love their Lip Butters, I caved and gave it a go. I'll admit that I was a wee bit harsh to completely disregard them, but like any wildly hyped product, it has a lot to live up to.


Creamsicle is a decent enough shade, a very soft peach that translates as a nude pink on my lips. Like you'd guess, it's quite moisturising, without being sticky or thick. My main issue is how often you'd have to reapply to keep a consistent colour. My lips just eat this sucker up within ten minutes, and I intend to only use Creamsicle as a same-tone balm under my favourite nude-pink shade, Face of Australia's Lip Quench in Lychee Crush, a lippy that lasts considerably longer. I think I would like to try a darker colour, perhaps one that stains my pout better, before I come to a final conclusion on the Lip Butters.






Also, after extensive research (Google, then select the second image), I've come to the conclusion that Creamsicles are actual American ice-blocks similar to a Splice, but orange flavoured and are more orange than nude-pink. This bothers me very much, and I'm not too sure why.

Explain yourself, Revlon!
Finally, the pricing difference. This is where I get a little ranty, so if you'd like to maintain the illusion that I never complain ever, then exit's to the left. The Australian dollar is at parity or above with the US greenback right now. Drugstore.com has Lip Butters listed for US$7.95, a price that I've confirmed with American friends and other beauty bloggers is about the highest you'd pay for them. Others have picked them up for around US$5 a pop on sale or with coupons. Here, they were launched for A$21.95! 


Seriously WHAT THE TITTY-FRICKING CHRIST IS THIS SHIZZNESS?! There is no possible way that disparity can be taken as anything other than Revlon frantically gorging the Australian consumer for their sweet non-paper cash and crossing their fingers that no one notices. Hey, Revlon guys, it's not the 90s anymore. We all have the internet and aside from using it to watch looping videos of baby sloths eating flowers, we use it to compare prices, and we know when we are getting ripped off. I've heard excuses from import taxes to packaging costs, but y'know what? That doesn't explain pricing them over twice the US RRP. It's so not cool.

Sure, we'll buy them now, but not as many and there will be bitching and complaining and retreating to the warm, slightly sticky embrace of my old friend eBay and other Australia-friendly online stores. I've already had it with paying a similar ungodly mark-up on Revlon polishes, and have bought most of mine online or from Gloss, who manages to sell theirs for $5 each without the Australian retail market imploding.

/rant. What a disgrace. I will be looking around for a few more of these Lip Butters, but online, or via friends travelling overseas. I have had it with how Australian shoppers are treated, and I hope that these greedy retailers eventually get it one day, once all their local customers look further afield, for a price that accurately reflects the product. Because, you guys, it's a balm. From Revlon. Not worth A$21.95.

Now if you'd excuse me, I'll be watching baby sloths eating flowers for the rest of the night.

Urge to kill...falling.

You Might Also Like

37 brilliant comments

  1. I appreciate your slightly sarcastic but completely reasonable and justified reviews. Thanks for the warning on this little sucker, immediately going to search for it cheaper online x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def one to buy online! Glad you appreciate the sarcasm too, I know many people who don't ;)

      Delete
  2. Totes agree. Nearly 3 times the price? GTFO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely....Completely unfair! Not going to bother hunting these out unless I look online. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not being over-the-top, it is very unfair.

      Delete
  4. It's ridiculous how much Revlon costs here.. Hopefully we, the non money-tree owning, online savvy girls, can change that - one rant at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still crossing my fingers for a money-tree though!

      Delete
  5. Well said! A Chanel Lipstick from SG Duty Free costs approx AUD 30 and a Revlon Super Lustrous Lippie costs AUD 26. And the Australian retailers are wondering why are sales declining every quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree! Waaay overpriced. But everything is here, especially in the beauty world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might like beauty, but it doesn't make us silly!

      Delete
  7. Agreed completely and I have similar VERY STRONG ranty feelings about the RIDICULOUS markup of Revlon products compared with the US. (So much so that caps was warranted.) I would only pay full price if it were part of some gift with purchase promotion where you get several full-sized products, and even then, I'd have to think twice if it was really worth it. I think Creamiscle is actually a really pretty colour when I swatched it at my local Priceline, but it the pigmentation isn't great and it seems a common complaint is the poor lasting power of these Lip Butters in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL CAPS FOREVER! I have nothing against the lip butters, but like you said, the lasting power and pigmentation is in no way worth the price. Revlon make some nice stuff, but they are obviously playing the Aust market.

      Delete
  8. Ugh, I know what you mean about the price! I want to actually lose my high-end make up virginity but with our prices it's absolutely impossible.

    I'm just going to swatch these instore and buy off Walmart or something and have them sent to my American friend's place and have her send them to me. Woo for international friends! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I love a willing US friend. I felt bad during a swap recently, as the agreed amount was $50, and she could send me a lot more product than I could for the same amount!

      Delete
  9. seriously, the Australian mark up is effed. Revlon, Loreal and all the other drug store brands can go get stuffed. I never buy anything full price from them ever, and I never will. I also work in a pharmacy and I steer everyone away from them, as my secret little *get effed revlon markup*. Not going to make a difference, I know, but seriously. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you're like a little retail ninja, seeking revenge on silly higher price points. Your kind of sneakiness is hilar!

      Delete
  10. omg I would never pay that much for anything Revlon, that's just plain stealing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy isn't it! I know Canadians get a higher RRP, but not as bad as Aussies! When I was in Calgary, I went a bit crazy in London Drugs and Walmart on all your cheap products.

      Delete
  11. I just dont understand how everything in aus can be so expensive. Every single costmetic brand in the US is atleast half the price of aus. Even if we are half way across the world is doesn't explain how we are marked up so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt the products are made in the US either, so it's not like they even get shipped from there. It gets me so grumpy!

      Delete
  12. Fist bump, Sistah.

    PS. Sloth gifs for life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know! Look, Revlon and I are locked in a private war since I realised that the said brand likes to treat us like such dumb bastards. So it goes like this, I use their testers and if I find something I like then I take a pic on my iphone of the name (like the bottom of the lippy tube)and buy it on ebay. I'm laughing at them in the French way, very sniggery and impolite. This practice gives me a huge amount of personal satisfaction. I refuse to pay three times the price just because I live in a country that has kangeroos hopping down the street.
    I am still hung up about those molten eye liquids from a few years ago that easily won the most comments from complete strangers catagory. I loved them so bad, and they broke my heart. I don't forget shit like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do everything the French way now! But it sounds like there should be more soft cheeses involved. Let's make that happen. Seems that Revlon isn't exactly anyone's bestie right now.

      Delete
  14. Oh my God I'm so happy I found your blog haha... I feel exactly the same way about the unbelievable price differences between here and the US. My bf tried to tell me "but there's a currency difference..." hahahaha NO, our dollar is actually stronger/just as strong right now! Why should we be paying such a difference....
    It's so sad really. Australian girls need to unite and take a stand, unfortunately there are just so many of us out there that don't realise what's happening, which is why retailers think it's okay.
    Enough of my own rant haha. Love the way you wrote this, you got attitude but I like it lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you found my blog too!
      Yep almost 3x the price is just silliness, and I do think people are realising and turning to online. Retailers have had it too good for too long.
      That said I did buy 2 more Lip Butters at Priceline yesterday, but they were 2 for 1. Almost there!

      *toddles off to check out your blog*

      Delete
  15. Definitely enjoying and appreciating the sarcasm!
    Haha, glad I found your blog!
    I bought my lip butter's online, the prices here are just ridiculous!
    Sharleena xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my blog too :)
      Aust prices make my head rage-explode!

      Delete
  16. Argh you are so amusing it kills me! LOvE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahahaha this is hilarious!!!
    I completely agree, $22... wtf... Australia makeup is just expensive in general. like MAC...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I obviously agree. MAC makes me cry because the internet leads me to believe I can buy all the things, but once I get to the counter instore, I'm like :(

      Delete
  18. I'm pretty annoyed with the Australian pricing too, especially since it seems now that it's only the drugstore brands doing it - Illamasqua has openly dropped prices, and a some stuff at Mecca is seeming suspiciously cheap too. Anyway, if you want to buy more Lip Butters, and you're in Sydney, try Cosmo Cosmetics on George Street. It's one of those stores that sells a couple of things from lots of brands, and I picked up a Lip Butter in Pink Truffle for $10.95 a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh, I saw Cosmo Cosmetics the other day, and had a wander through. The MAC looks fake, but the Revlon etc seemed like they've just been imported from Canada.
    I did buy a few more Lip Butters when I was in Hawaii (2 for 1 special, so I got four of them for around $13!!) and they have grown on me, especially the brighter shades like Candy Apple.

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.