Featherlocks Hair Extensions - review

3:24 PM


You guys know I'm down with doing stuff to my hair, from pink balayage  to an ill-advised fringe (you will NEVER see photos of that one), so I was more than happy to accept when the folks at Featherlocks by Condition Culture asked me to try their feather extensions, made from rooster feathers. I knew about them mostly from a few celebrities whose music I most definitely do not sing along to while vacuuming like Selena Gomez, Hilary Duff and Miley Cyrus wearing them, but hadn't seen them on in person. 

I chose the bright blue and teal shades in hopes of emulating my spirit animal, the peacock (vain, loud and flightless? So me.), and stylist and Featherlocks brand ambassador, Kim Rattenbury got to work. The dude has gorgeous hair by the way. Like, inducing jealousy from a girl who is most definitely not me kinda curls.



It was a super simple process, using silicon beads that literally click on directly to your hair using pliers and a loop, so no glue. Mine were attached to the underside of my long layers, so that they can flash a bit of colour without being visible all the time. If bright colours are suitable for you or your workplace, there are also several neutral varieties that look amazing in brunette hair and pick up on tribal trends with their tan and brown shading.

I then had a few shots taken of me all befeathered, giving me yet another platform to demonstrate my own special brand of on-camera awkwardness. Seriously, these were the best shots. Yeah, I know.

Oh hey look guys, there's lipsticks over there. Come stare intently with me.
But most importantly, who can pull off a better Bitchface with feathers in their hair - me, or Ke$ha?


Let me know because I feel that while I have more of that cold, dead-behind-the-eyes as my default Bitchface, Ke$ha is more of the fuck-that-flash-is-bright-omg-I'm-hungover Bitchface. She's not really feeling it. Yes, this is what I spend my Friday nights thinking about.




My favourite bit is how adaptable they are to styling and shaping. Mine were straightened for my smooth style, but I also saw how well the feathers hold curl. Most importantly, they can be washed and blow-dried like normal hair, without, well, feathering. Mine have been in for a couple of weeks and are as good as new, for a big tick for durability.




I've played around with them a bit at home, and really like how they fall when the top layer is clipped back to reveal the extensions underneath. I have had to work around them a little when tying my hair back in a bun or ponytail, as the placement of the attachment beads can raise ridges when pulling back. Also sometimes I forget they're there and push my hand back through my hair and tug on them a little. Ow! In regards to the feathers origin, they are from Whiting Farm, which also produces feathers for fly-fishing.

As for the public opinion, the following people love them: coworkers, friends, random guys at the bar, cute guy at Blockbuster who approves of me renting 30 Rock, every shopgirl ever, lady who resoled my shoes, person behind me in post office queue and heavy mouth-breather on bus.


People who don't love them include the following: Boyfriend.


Whatever, Boyfriend!

Featherlocks are available in professional hair salons, with a RRP starting from A$10 per piece, plus application fee which I assume varies according to salon. For reference, I have six attached.

These products were a gift and applied by Featherlocks and their PR. They have in no way influenced my review and opinions are my own. It is also my opinion that men just don't get it sometimes. Am I right ladies? Le sigh. See my Disclaimer for more sexy details.
 

You Might Also Like

14 brilliant comments

  1. These look fantastic in!You rock it way better than Ke$ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg these are really cool. I like the blue! I want get them in melbourne and do you know if they have hot pink? so pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, they do a few different shades of pink. I'd call 1300 437 436 for stockists.

      Delete
  3. Shut the front door, these look fab on you. I'm such a bore I would never be brave enough to try these (I still wear pearl earrings and White Linen AT THE SAME TIME), so thanks Micheala for doing the unthinkable and showing me how.
    Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I like them too. I feel like there's a "I'm Like A Bird" joke in here somewhere, but I'm way too lazy to make it.

      Also, White Linen? Dude!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Why thank you Stacey! ALthough I'm not too sure what a total modul is (Google says this https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmLI17tRiF8ORSenn9dNL468AGnYZVhDo6eWqbVNHf0oqL0TaJmA ) I'm sure it can only be a good thing ;)

      Delete
  5. BAHAHA! The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking "I wonder what the conservative boyfriend thinks" then BAM. He never fails!

    They look so pretty btw! I'm going to steal your hair :) Seriously:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I just added a new label especially for him. I swear he's more fun than he comes across, he's just into the classic kind of look.

      I moult a lot so you're welcome to come vacuum my floor and make a wig from the loose hair. That sounded a lot less creepy in my head.

      Delete
  6. They look great! I got some from http://www.hairtrade.com and they're fab - you can also sew on clips so you can have them as clip in from Hairtrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T90Kate, if that IS your real name.

      Delete
    2. No problem, love reading your blog! Yeah my name is Kate, but my surname isn't T90 lol :s

      Delete
  7. tape in hair extensionsJuly 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

    I have had to work around them a little when tying my hair back in a
    bun or ponytail, as the placement of the attachment beads can raise
    ridges when pulling back.
    http://www.zalacliphairextensions.com.au/blog/category/tape-hair-extensions/

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.