Kevin Murphy Color Bug in Grape - review and ombre hair swatch

4:34 PM

So I had like half an hour spare before I had to leave for work the other day and was faced with a difficult decision - eat breakfast or give myself purple ombre, My Little Pony hair. Obviously I went for a sensible breakfast of bran with almond milk and fresh carrot and kale juice.

Lol jokes, I used a Kevin Murphy Color Bug for some sweet-ass purple hair. Then ate left-over Easter eggs at my desk for breakfast. Win-win, mais non?



Unlike my previous go at ombre hair, this isn't a dye that lasts weeks. Rather, Kevin Murphy has created these nifty little pans of hair eyeshadow. Similar to eyeshadow, you apply it over primed hair and huzzah! - instant hair colour minus that whole commitment thing.


Because I live on the edge, I didn't prep my hair with a leave-in conditioner or protection spray. Okay, I totally forgot and went straight to the sweet, sweet application. The packaging gives no info on how to apply the shadow, so I very daintily grabbed fistfuls of hair and rubbed them on the shadow pan, then ran my fingers through to distribute the colour. I tried to make it darkest at the tips, then lighten to a pastel further up the strands. I then set the final look with hairspray.

With flash.

My hair had a bit of a wave to it that day, which I think helped disguise the haphazard application and pieces that I totally missed. I have no idea what the back looks like either.

Natural light.
 A heads up - this is messy stuff. I was wearing a black dress so I rubbed the loose shadow in the fabric wore a towel over my shoulders in the first place. The sink and bathroom floor also ended up covered in hair shadow. My hands also turned a very flattering shade of grape, Violet Beauregarde style, but washed away easily with hand soap.



As for work, I ended up twisting my hair up into a kickass bun, which kept it out of the way, but still had that flash of colour.


Then I came home and pretended to be a My Little Pony by pulling my mass of hair to one side. 

 
The resemblance is uncanny, right?

Anyhoo, achieving a childhood dream aside, the shadow washed off easily with my regular shampoo. I did notice some lilac tones the next day which is just a bonus for me, but might be something to be aware of if you need the colour to be gone pronto.

I really digged using this little pot of awesome and will be trying the other colours. An easy bit of fun for a night out or you want to terrify the Boyfriend (you may have already guessed he wasn't a fan). Oh, Boyfriend!

Kevin Murphy Color Bugs also come in Pink and Orange and retail for A$24.95. At the moment, I've only seen them on adorebeauty.com.au.

What do you think? A trend to try or do I look a little crazy lady? Like more crazy than normal.

You Might Also Like

29 brilliant comments

  1. That looks SO cool, especially your own lil pony! ha! I wonder if it'd work as well in brunette hair..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would do pretty well in brunette hair, as it's just sitting on top of the hair and doesn't need to penetrate the strand. You should try it, then we can start a herd of My Little Ponies!

      Delete
  2. How on Earth did you manage to do that? That is amazing. Too scary for me but gosh I am impressed! As for you being a little pony, I totally see the resemblance! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think about it, it's not as scary as using dye or getting a new hair cut, as you can just wash it out if you make a mistake.

      Joiiiiiin us! The ponies neeeeeed you!

      Delete
  3. I love the look. I was just wondering how it felt in your hair? Did it end up feeling dirty and chalky or was it fine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt okay, especially as it was concentrated around the ends. My hair did seem to hold on the colour, absorbing it slightly like a dry shampoo rather than just sitting on top.
      It didn't feel any diffent from a normal hairstyle, but I did avoid touching it and I would wash it out the same day.

      Delete
  4. I want to be a purple-haired My Little Pony, boyfriends be damned. Wonder if it's as vivid on dark hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know I think it would work. BF is a brunette but the sook won't let me try them on him :(

      Delete
  5. Best My Little Pony I've ever seen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. That means so much coming from a lady who sounds like she knows her way around a My Little Pony ;)

      Delete
  6. I like it! I wonder how it works in brown hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work as it coats the strand, rather than dyes it. I can lend you it if you want to take it for a spin?

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! A My Little Pony? I think you just made my day. Oh and nevermind the boyfriend's opinion. I'm not sure they quite grasp the concept that the more you look like a magical horse, the cooler you'll be!

    xx.
    Such A Beautiful Sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more people shouuld aspire to the magical horse look. Magical horses are under-represented in our society!
      Love your hair colour by the way! I have too much pink in my skintone to do a really warm shade like yours!

      Delete
    2. Here here! It's definitely within our reach!

      Oh and thankyou for saying so. I was certain I had pink undertones too until I just read that! If the warm hair colour suits my skin does that mean that I have a yellow undertones? Hmm. It's all too confusing!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh your hair is amazing. Its so inpsiring. I used to have my hair like that a long time ago:( I want it back!
    great blog
    shadesofpepper.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, but don't mention it to my hair, otherwise it'll get a big head...

      Delete
  9. It soooo pretty with the romantic waves. You look good lady! Go lilac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nice to know you see romantic waves, rather than rampant bed-head!

      Delete
  10. It soooo pretty with the romantic waves. You look good lady! Go lilac!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish it came in more colours love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. How nice would a baby blue or mint green be?

      Delete
  12. This product looks awesome, I wanna try it too... Totally genius!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too easy to totally change your look!

      Delete
  13. This product is virtually the same as using dry pastel sticks for artwork. Much cheaper and loads more colours. Surprisingly works pretty well on dark hair Locking it in with hairspray helps too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard that. I think I'll give it a go with the pastels - I'm thinking mint.

      Delete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.