NOTD - Island Girl Waikiki Color - review and swatches

4:40 PM

 It's still not quite Spring-ready here in overcast, windy Sydney, so I've been looking for a little pick-me-up. I thought I'd found the perfect cure in one of the nifty bits and pieces I'd picked up from my recent holiday to Hawaii, this traffic cone, safety jacket fluro orange nail polish called Waikiki Color from Island Girl. 

I was looking for a photo of a safety jacket to compare the colour to, and found this. Obviously I couldn't not share, right? 


Accuracy and honesty in reporting, right here.

Anyway it's an ultra bright shade, although a bit more orange than your typical safety jacket that is worn by a shirtless lusty lady.




While I love the colour, the formula kind of sucks. It's streaky, thick and lies uneven, and for some terrible reason, dries matte. I've slicked a top coat over as I do prefer a shiny finish, especially when I need to mask the pretty awful job I did painting these.



I've bought a few more things from Island Girl, so I'm crossing my cuticles in hope that they turn out a little nicer on, because the colours are just gorgeous.

Island Girl nail polishes are US$2.99 each and you can find them in ABC stores in Hawaii and selected salons in Las Vegas.


You Might Also Like

15 brilliant comments

  1. I wish I hadn't read this post now because that sexy lady and her come hither eyes are going to haunt my dreams tonight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your sexy dreams! Now no other partner can live up to the promise of lusty safety jacket lady.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous Summer colour - going to have to look for something similar in the UK! Shame about the finish though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it looks better as a pedicure, it's so nice and sunny.

      Delete
  3. I'd say that's Cityrail platform paint yellow! Pity about the finish - I'd recommend ulta3 Honolulu (see what I did there) or Frangipani (did it again!) as cheapie alternatives that dry shiny and aren't super streaky (check them out here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I do have Honolulu sitting in my 'to try' tub o polish. Will make sure to swatch that soon then. Um and holy shit, thanks for linking that blog. Amazing ulta3 swatches!

      Delete
  4. After watching your haul videos I read your posts in your voice in my head. It's actually pretty cool.

    The construc-safety chick...I was braced for worse. Happy to be wrong on that one! I don't have any creams from the IG line, just a single bottle that has flower glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha poor you, hearing my voice! Hopefully that doesn't spill over into daily life and you end having me as your inner voice. Actually THAT would be pretty cool.

      Delete
  5. The horrors of preliminary research :p The shade looks super neon and bright in contrast to the chilly weather we've been having. But at least it's been sunny lately :) Too bad the formula sucks though, hopefully the other ones fare better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they're better too. Sydney is such a tease lately - short bursts of sun one second, then shooting freezing wind down the CBD wind tunnels/streets the next.

      Delete
  6. love the nail polish shade. its really great for summer and autumn :D

    xx m

    http://thisishowwerule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dig the colour too, but not the formula :(

      Delete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.