Sportsgirl Pout Line Lip Liner in Red - review and swatch

4:10 PM

Confession time! Never have I ever used lip liner. Not once. I consider lip liner to be the sole reserve of older church-going women who pair it with faded lip colour and copious pearl clutching.

And our First Lady of Hot Messes, Pammy, of course.

But (and there's always a but), I happened across a Sportsgirl sale which was dropping lip liners for $2.99 which is so cheap, I'm basically saving money by buying one. That's pretty much what I understand with my year 10 Applied Maths knowledge anyway. It's like FREE money!




A fine-pointed pencil one end, with a brush for blending on the other, this pencil is a nice fire-engine red, perfect for offsetting and containing all the tomato-hued lippy I subject my lips to every-second-daily.


Swatched, it traces over my arm smoothly and reminds me of a L'Oreal eyeliner pencil I have lying around from ages ago and have kept mostly because of the dark line it can produce without pulling and tugging on skin. I think of these types of pencils and kohls as 'slippery' pencils, ones you use to produce a clean line rather than to smudge.

This is the part where I admit that I'm not 100% clear on where the lip liner goes. Apart from my lips, derp. After some short, yet intense research (Googled like a boss), I worked out that lining your lips to prevent bleeding is not the only small miracle liners can perform. You can also fill in your lines with the pencil and wear it as a lip colour/stain. I can hear you rolling your eyes, so shush! This is all new to me. We can't all be beauty geniuses like my new fave double act, Vernessa and the other one.

Or Herp and Derp, as I prefer

Here's my FOTD using Sportsgirl's Pout Line to completely fill in my lips. I made sure they were well exfoliated and lip-balmed up before scribbling over them, as I doubt this is a super moisturising formula.

Sexxxxxyface time


It wore off evenly to a faded stain during the day, which I really like the look of and could maintain to look 'done' by polishing a layer of high shine gloss over the top. I used one by C.O Bigelow to keep my lips hydrated.

It's a win for me! I scored my Sportsgirl Pout Line Lip Liner for $2.95 maybe a month ago, I think think they retail for three times that normally.

You Might Also Like

22 brilliant comments

  1. Oh wow so cheap! I love the colour too! It definitely looks great on you!
    I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to using lip liner too, but I sort of got the hang of it!
    Nice post :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO do you use lip liner with all lipsticks now, or just the bright ones?

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you've lost your lipliner "virginity", lol! Great colour on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sportsgirl was so sweet and caring with me, it really felt special ;)

      Delete
  3. I need to do my review on this as well! I got mien for $2.95 too. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lip liners are a necessity when wearing red lipstick. They are not just for filling in your lips. You might not think so now, but in 10 years when you look at pictures of yourself in red lipstick and wonder why you insisted on doing a Robert Smith (from The Cure) impersonation all those times, you'll realize that a simple $2.99 lip liner could have saved you. Now that you know how awesome lip liners are, you can be even more awesome-er. BTW. Miss Pammy is the queen of dark lip liner and light lip gloss... this is a no-no in any country...even Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Googles Robert Smith* Awww I hope I don't look like him! Pinkie-promise to involve lip liner in all my future lip endeavors.

      Delete
  5. My maths and your maths are the same maths. The same formula works for B1G1, etc. You might as well buy it 'cause you're getting something free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rule at Maths. I've also calculated that the calories that a slice of cheesecake contain, are exactly equal to the amount of energy it takes to go get it from the fridge. Yay Maths!

      Delete
  6. Cheap as chips, and the color looks great on you! Also, the other pics basically served to accentuate how gorgeous your complexion is. Any skin tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Hmmm, for skin tips, I always use a serum morning AND night - brightening in the AM, hydrating in the AM. I also use a moisture mask once a week, but mix it with a few drops of rose-hip oil and leave it on overnight for best results.

      Delete
  7. The colour is seriously gorgeous on you, but also, seriously, YOUR SKIN! omg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Funny, because I didn't think these photos were that rad, but maybe when you're comparing to Pammy...

      Delete
  8. Red lipstick looks amazing on you. So lovely.
    We have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! http://thelipstickclique.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-award.html
    x Angela and Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good! I bought the same one, as well as a pink-y one. Not bad, eh?

    As long as you don't do the dark liner and pale lip combo.... vom

    Eloise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to do the Pammy combo when I'm bumming around at home one day, just to scare the boyfriend.

      How did the pink one go? Are you using it lots?

      Delete
  10. Omg I love your Herp and Derp picture, I don't however love The Shire, watched the first episode and that was enough. Best line from that show "I'd rather die than not have my fake lips" *groan* lord help us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, isn't it tragic? I missed a few eps while on holiday, but doubt the storyline would be too hard to pick up again lol.

      Delete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.