Lush's Emotional Brilliance collection - swatches and review

1:07 PM

Tomorrow, the 21st of July, is my 25th birthday! Exciting, right? Right! And to celebrate this tremendous, global event, Lush is launching their new colour cosmetics range, Emotional Brilliance.

(This may not be true. The birthday bit is, but I may be fibbing about Lush timing a new release to celebrate it. Their loss)


Anyway, birthday schmirthday, the collection has the sweet theory behind it that people are drawn to colours because of how they appeal to your subconscious. All the product names relate to different characteristics.

The line is huge, with thirteen Liquid Lips, two no-smudge Liquid Eyeliners, eleven Cream Eyeliners and six Cream Eyeshadows, with each bottle holding 8g. There is also two Skin Tints and a Face Powder. Phew!

The products are displayed in-store on a super cool colour wheel, where you select the colours you're drawn to, then find out what kind of product they are and what trait they represent.

 I gave the wheel a spin and picked these three colours - Ambition (fire-engine orange red), Glamorous (blue-based fuchsia) which are both Liquid Lips, and the eyeliner Success (silver).



The bottles are super cute, although I keep squeezing the tops like you would a dropper, expecting to be able to drip product on to skin. But, nope Ambition and Glamorous both have foam brushes and Success has a thin eyeliner brush.








Firstly, let's discuss the Success eyeliner. I am a noted herp derp using eyeliners and therefore am not the best judge here, only being capable of slapping them onto my lower lash line and hoping that's where it should go.

I do like this one better than the Lancome Artliner as the softer brush and longer drying time lets me build it up and fill in any gaps. And maybe I'm just used to not using liners, but holy frick it lasted a long time, having not smudged after 10ish hours and needed a good going-over with remover to get it off.

The Liquid Lipsticks have a base of Lush's uber-moisturing Ultrabalm, which contains jojoba oil, candelilla and rose wax.The formula is thicker than I expected and slick on skin smoothly. Ambition is the most pigmented out of the three and went immediately on my lips, while Glamorous is giving out more of a skin stain vibe.

On lips, the colour does slip and slide around so make sure you have time to slowly build thin layers of colour as one thick layer will mush all over your face when you're at the bus stop without a mirror and you won't realise until you get into your office elevator and you have giant Joker lips. Hawt.
Bonus - the lippy wears down to a gorge even stain, that I topped up with my Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple. Love!

Ambitious lips

My messy handiwork

Also in the new range is the Eyes Right mascara. Now I love a good pun but I do not get this one. Is it even a pun? Have I gotten to the stage where I'm constantly searching for puns? What am I doing with my life? So please let me know if there's something I'm not getting about Eyes Right.


It's a very wet formula and needs lots of time to dry before blinking. The brush is teeny and having my fingers so close to my eyes when mascara-ing up doesn't work for me as a) their shadow then lies directly over where I'm trying to work, b) the faux-dropper top keeps smudging the aforementioned wet lashes and c) I won't lie, I did smush my finger into my eye socket while trying to hit those inner corner lashes. All this finger-wrangling eventually results in a very natural lash that darkens and lengthens a little, but didn't do much for me in volume and curl. Personally I need a mascara that kicks my lashes in the butt to wake them up, but this might be the perfect enviro-friendly, vaguely hippy-dippy mascara you've been looking for.


Lastly there's the skin tints and face powder. They come some study little glass jars and their own nifty name and description right on the lid.


My favourite is the Feeling Younger skin tint, which is basically a big ol tub of pearly illuminator. I've been blending it into cheekbones and all that biz to enhance and mixing into BB cream for a fancy glow. I did try it mixed together with a foundation, but they did not like each other very much and separated after a quick fling.

Charisma is a nice brown shimmer-free bronzer that I haven't have the chance to try on my face yet, being extremely white and all. I'll give it a shot on my upcoming holiday in which I will be fake-tanned to full capacity and will report back (likely on Twitter) then. You'll be waiting with bated breath, I'm sure

As for Emotional Brilliance Transparent Face Powder, it's fine. There's not too much you can say about face powders, and this one is finely-milled, silky to touch and maybe a little awkwardly packaged if you're using a massive face brush for it. It's talc based, and contains jojoba oil.

Charisma on the left, Feeling Younger on the right, although I like to think my entire arm is charismatic 

Success eyeliner (yes, it's too thin/uneven), Glamour on cheeks and lips, Eyes Right mascara on....eyes

Bonus photo! Here's me with Rowena Bird, Lush Co-Founder and namesake of my favourite Lush product, Ro's Argan Body Conditioner, and all-round lovely lady. I swear I'm not normally this much of an Amazon!



Eyes Right mascara is A$19.95, Emotional Brilliance translucent face powder is A$19.95 and Skin Tints are A$19.95 each. The Eyeshadows, Liners and Liquid Lips are A$24.95 each, and the line launches worldwide July 21st.


Disclaimer: I did not pay for these Lush products, and had the opportunity to test them through my day job. They have in no way influenced my review and opinions are my own. It is also my opinion that you should all reward your favourite blogger and send me some birthday Cheesecake kthxbye. See my Disclaimer for more sexy details.




You Might Also Like

34 brilliant comments

  1. Those look super interesting, can't wait to try that colour wheel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been able to try it yet? Let me know what colours you get!

      Delete
  2. I love that Lush are bringing out a cosmetics line. I'm most drawn to the Skin Tints and the Liquid Lips - the red colour looks gorgeous on you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeep I'm so excited! The Liquid lips look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZOMG I'm SOOOO excited about this. I just went to the VIP night in Parramatta. Love the products, about to blog about them now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Fantasy looks amazing on you. *adds to list*

      Delete
  5. This is the first time I see that lush also sells cosmetic? In the stores I went so far they only sold mask, soap and hair treatment (or maybe I'm just blind.) Love the ambition lip tint but the joker imagine you created afterwards left me a bit creeped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because they're brand new! Hopefully you've had enough time to look at them by now, so let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. I'm soooo looking forward to these - the red lippie looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorei o blog, muito lindo, amei tudo. Parabéns mesmo, vou sempre estar aqui (:

    ontendency.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dropper-bottle packaging on these... Tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is cute, right? I really like how I can see through the bottles, it makes choosing a colour to wear so easy.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday m'dear! Sending you a cheesecake via REM sleep. You'll dream of it tonight, and it will be tasty. And no, I don't get the 'Eyes Right' pun either. If it is a pun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the dream-cheesecake. Sleep Michaela says it was delicious :)

      Delete
  10. I like the Feeling Younger Skin Tint too and the first item I bought straight away from the launch! I'm now eyeing the liquid lips... something I would use... as cream blush and on the lips! Ooooo so tempted~!!

    Wow you look so tall.. haahaa not normally this Amazon...

    Eyes Right.. Uhm... I kind of thought along the line of "I is right" or "Eye is right" but yeh... probably won't think too much into it, aye :p

    -blushfully

    ReplyDelete
  11. AAAANNNDDD A Happyyyy Birthday to youuuu!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I really like the FY skin tint too, it's the one I've used the most so far and it's going to last ages.

      Delete
  12. Those look awesome!
    I'm a new follower, I'd love if you checked out my blog and follow back if you like! xx
    beautybyt2.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I really want to try that bronzer and illuminator. The shades of the rest of the makeup products kind of scare me though! P.S. I love your pants in that pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The super brights could be easily blended done to a stain IMO but yep, they are a bit scary. There's a green that looks v tricky to wear.
      The pants a ksubi, a high-waisted win.

      Delete
  14. "Eyes Right" is a military drill instruction, used to order soldiers to look to the right during a march. Used to show respect to a notable figure or item in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been seeing this on loads of blogs! Next time i'm in Belfast i'm going straight to Lush to check this out! Love how it's so personal, your colours looks fab xx

    http://laurenjadem.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.