NOTD - Revlon Midnight Affair - review, swatch and whinge

5:18 PM

Peeping at my bottle of Revlon's Midnight Affair, it looks like a nice glossy dark blue with a slight shimmer, right? You'd think so, but it just so happens that Revlon apparently has a deep dark grudge against me and my nails and was waiting for just the right time to strike. Just waiting, watching, judging...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOON
Firstly, here are my nails with the three coats it took to build to an opaque shade, plus quick dry drops and top coat. Please ignore the shocking job I do of colouring within the lines, I've never had that hand-eye coordination thing down.


Ohh shiny!
I waited a half hour between each coat, then sat at my desk, fingers splayed while typing with my finger pads to avoid a smudge for just over three hours. They had to be dry right? Right?!

Nope
The little SOBs looked dry, and even felt dry, so I went and got lunch and did all my regular hand-related activities. The photo above is what they looked like twenty minutes later. I was so mad.

Those jerks
I was thinking maybe I just had a bad bottle, because I've never had an issue with Revlon polishes before, but then I realised every other colour I'd tried had been from their Top Speed line, not the classic line like this one. So Top Speed shades are a yay; regular formula, you get pushed to the back of my polish collection. I have about five or six bottles I haven't tried out yet, and honestly, I really don't want to now.

This concludes the Twisted Panties Story Hour, with your host Michaela. Stay tuned for next time, when I undoubtedly get my knickers in a knot over something trivial, but deeply annoying.

I bought this Revlon polish for A$5 at Gloss, in the QVB Sydney. Serves me right.


You Might Also Like

30 brilliant comments

  1. Funny you should say that. I've been to scared to try revlon polishes after I had a similar experience. Grrrrr!

    Ps Love Lily's "You son of a bitch" face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good (except not good)! At least it's not just me!

      I can't look at that Lily gif without saying it in her voice. Love.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I hate that, and considering I'm the kind of person who paints their nails before bed (never the smartest idea, but I digress), these kind of polishes send me in a rage!

    In other news, I possibly stared at that first gif for a few minutes straight haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I normally do my painting while watching tv post-bed and thought I was being so clever to do them during the day instead. Foiled again!

      Mr Clooney is so hypnotising. I saw The Descendants on the weekend and as soon as I saw that scene, I needed it as a gif asap.

      Delete
  3. Hmm thats no good but there must be a way to get this to work. Have you tried putting down a base color? If your up for it try putting on a thin coat of black and then one good coat of this overtop that should help with it taking too many layers. It is quite a pretty shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use a base, should've mentioned that! Not sure if I'm going to bother using black beneath, although it's a great idea, but at that point it becomes too much work for me. I have a very similar Illamasqua shade that has a far better pay off (but of course costs more!) which I'll do a NOTD for too ;)

      Delete
  4. I have this colour and to be honest, I was expecting it to be more vibrant. It's a bit too blackish for me. But it looks great on your nails, shame about the fact it's so slow drying. I have quite a few classic Revlon polishes and I do find they can be a bit tricky to work with. Then again, I'm horribly impatient when it comes to waiting for my nail polish to dry, so I get the issue of smudging and smearing quite a bit, Revlon or not :p Not helped by the fact I have this compulsion to do about 3 coats more than I need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit darker than I expected too!
      I'm impatient too, but I guess this is why the smudging annoyed me so much - because I did everything right like a good nail-polishing gal should. It's not slow-drying, it's non-drying :(

      Delete
  5. Hi hun I nominated you for a blog award
    http://beautymakeupaddict.blogspot.ca/2012/05/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Will ignore the spelling of creative and will go check it out ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh goodness! I hate nail situations like this!
    You try SO hard, and they just refuse to work with you!

    Sharleena xx
    markedbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so justified in my normal slap-dash approach now! All that effort for nothing!

      Delete
  7. Aw! That bites! I don't know if I've ever tried one of their classic line polishes. I quite like their scented line though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have some scented ones that are untested right now. What's the drying time like on those?

      Delete
    2. Hmm...to be honest...I'm not really sure! I usually wait 2 minutes with all my polishes, and then apply my HG Sally Hansen Insta-Dri.

      Delete
  8. It's such a pretty colour, pity it didn't work out. I used to have that impatient + slow-drying issue too. I never really got the hang of quick dry drops - quick dry topcoats otoh are amazing. Apart from the obvious plus of quick dry + topcoat in one step, I can do my nails, slap it on, then go to sleep 15 minutes later and in the morning - no sheet marks! Seche Vite, Poshe or Sally Hansen Diamond Shine are amazeballs. The only polishes it doesn't really work on are cheapie polishes with isopropyl alcohol as one of the top ingredients, which are soft and dentable for DAYS. I mean, shouldn't you test that before you sell it? Wtf blah.

    Also in terms of colouring inside the lines - I am terrible at it too! But dipping a small eyeliner brush in nail polish remover and wiping up the cuticles help prevent the "a rabid dog ripped my nails off HELP BUT KEEP YOUR DISTANCE" look I used to get with red cremes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I love your explanations for why things do/don't work. I've never even thought of checking polish ingredients! Isopropyl alcohol sounds like the silliest possible addition for a nail product too!
      Diamond Shine has been on my Priceline line list for aggggggges but I always get distracted and buy more colours, never the boring products that actually make a difference. Le sigh.

      That eyeliner brush trick sounds like it would do a much tidier job than my current method of remover soaked Q-tip. Um yeah, I may sometimes end up having nails that are slightly fluffy around the edges...

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I get lazy and use a Q-tip, but they're fancy black Q-tips that I got from Japan, so my fingers end up with mini pubes.

      Delete
    3. Well oohlala Miss Fancy! The finger-pubes (fubes?) make for a great mental image.

      Delete
  9. The Nail Polish look amazing!

    Lovely Greetings from Austria ♡ ,i´m a new Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hopefully with much gnashing of teeth and wails of despair! And steam coming from your ears. That's very important.

      Delete
  11. Try Ulta3 in Hollywood. It turns out like the Revlon ones looks in the bottle. Takes about 2x coats to be opaque and only costs $2 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the dupe alert. I heart Ulta3 forever!

      Delete
  12. The Nail Polish look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful blog…your blog's having nice content

    Daily Deals for guys

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.