Australis Crystal Colour in Speck-tacular and Blackmail - review and swatches

9:23 AM

When I saw Australis had a top coat with holographic flakes on shelf at Priceline (seriously, you'd think I work there, I'm in Priceline so often), I wasn't sure if it was new or just random old stock I'd never noticed before. I picked up the polish Speck-tacular and the Blackmail polish it was positioned next to, as the top coat was recommended for use on a dark base for best results, and I for some reason felt that I really needed another black shade. I pooped them on my bedroom dresser and immediately forgot about them for a week.

Happily I was reminded of them when Australis kindly sent to my work (addressed to someone who hasn't been in my position for two years, oops!) the exact same duo I'd bought. I stashed the polishes (and the flashing, glittery cat-bait bouncy ball that came with) in our office beauty cupboard, went home and tried out my own bottles.

Australis describes Speck-tacular as a "holographic, light-reflecting foil top coat (which) adds a new glitter dimension to every nail look. I really like the mix of flakes, which have a metallic gleam to them, and from what I can make out, come in pink-orange, green-gold and aqua-blue shades.

Blackmail is a good basic glossy black base to showcase the holographic flakes, crating a kind of galaxy look. I also think they would be just perfect on a creme jade base to really play up the opal effect of the foil pieces. A good navy blue could also work beautifully.


Believe me, the foil flakes appear much brighter in person and are just a total jerk to photograph clearly.
As for wear, I applied two coats of Blackmail and then two coats of Spec-tacular and have had it on for around three days. There is chipping around the tips and I've noticed that all four layers are being removed together, not just the flake top coat. I would like long-lasting coverage from that many layers.

Austalis reckons they were available in-store from 6th Feb, but I found mine in late January. At any rate, they are $8.95 a piece, and while Blackmail is a fairly basic shade, it's a decent base for the perfectly named Speck-tacular which I'm becoming increasingly wooed by.

You Might Also Like

4 brilliant comments

  1. I'm loving Australis so much lately :) This polish is so amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, they're really doing good! Have you tried it yet?

      Delete
  2. I loveeee this top coat!! And I totally agree about it being a bitch to photograph - I was trying to do the same for my own blog and it was just too difficult and I gave up.

    P.s. love the name!! ;)

    xx
    coffeefashionlaughterlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total pain to capture, but hopefully people get the gist of it. Fab name, looks like your parents are great spellers too ;)

      Delete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.