NARS Satin Lip Pencils in Lodhi, Isola Bella and Golshan - review and swatches

3:30 AM


You guys, I'm starting to think I have a serious lip crayon issue. After using NARS' Dragon Girl for the last year, collecting all of Revlon's staining versions, and buying every other version that popped up in Priceline, there was no way I could not make frantic grabby hands at NARS' new spin on their Velvet Lip pencils. Now in a glossy, but colour-rich formulation, NARS Satin Lip Pencils are an alternative for those who like punchy shades with opaque coverage, but want a shiny finish as opposed to the matte originals.



I tried out three shades from the thirteen available - Lodhi (vibrant coral), Golshan (spiced wine) and Isola Bella (peach beige) - all named after public parks from around the world.












The pencils are much softer than the Velvet Lip Pencils, and you have to take a little too much care for my liking when removing and replacing the cap. I've managed to smoosh two out of three pencil tips now thanks to my permanent case of coffee-shakes hands.



Natural light, from left - Isola Bella, Lodhi and Golshan

With flash, from left - Isola Bella, Lodhi and Golshan


Lodhi is my definite favourite of the three - it's a vivid, almost neon coral and the combination of creamy texture and one swipe opacity is exactly what I'd hoped these would be.
Isola Bella has more of an orange tone to it than peach, on my lips at least. It would be very wearable for anyone a few tones darker than me, but it's just a bit too dark and harsh against my anaemic complexion.
Golshan is a tricky one, a cross between a jewel tone, dried blood and that berry stain that rims your lips after you've drunk the entire box of shiraz. I like it as a strong colour, but you'd have to be careful what outfits for pair it with to avoid swerving off-route into baby-goth town.

I found wear time fairly uniform across all three, with the gloss fading down to an even stain after about two hours and I needed a good scrub with make-up remover to get rid of that.


Dirty lined eyes are all my own handiwork.

I was lucky enough to meet François Nars' BFF MUA for the last sixteen years, Marco Castro, at Mecca Cosmetica. He hand-blended a custom shade for me by layering Isola Bella and Golshan, creating a dusty brick-red - a verrrrry sultry look for the otherwise G-rated work dinner I rushed to afterwards.

I felt SO SEXY!



The pencils are silky enough to layer and mix over lipstick and lip stains, a win over their matter counterparts, and I think the darker colours especially could be adjusted by layering over a nude or even a pastel like NARS' Tender Night. 

While Lodhi has found a place in my lippy rotation, I also need Yu, a shocking pink, like right now please. It's the perfect just-pashed-a-flamingo shade that I know you've always wanted. This lip pencil problem is here to stay, friends!




NARS Satin Lip Pencils are now available at Mecca Cosmetica and Mexxa Maxima for A$39 each.



Disclaimer: Product acquired through day job from brand. They have in no way influenced my review and opinions are my own. It is also my opinion that G-rated work dinners always need that one girl with too much make-up on. This post contain affiliate links. See my Disclaimer for more sexy details.




You Might Also Like

10 brilliant comments

  1. I want Lodhi sooooo bad!!! Great picks :)

    -
    Fashion-olic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's def the pick of the bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get thee to Mecca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look sooooo beautiful. I haven't tried them, but have only heard good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure to swatch them next time you're at Mecca, I can see myself wearing them all heaps this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lodhi more like get in my shopping cart yesterday. Like I need another coral in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh yes Yu is on my lust list! Lodhi now is too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous- I keep trying these at NARS counters and lusting after them. Love the look of them all, especially Golshan.

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.