Essence Cherry Blossom Girl Lip Pencils - review and swatches

4:46 AM

I think I've found my make-up kryptonite, you guys. Wave a lipstick pen in front of me and I go weak at the knees, only summoning up enough strength to press my credit card into the shopkeep's loving grasp. Priceline was cruel enough to keep the Essence stand within eyesight from where I was innocently picking up some contact lens fluid, muttering must not buy pretty, must NOT buy pretty, and bam, I was suddenly walking out with the two lipstick pencils from Essence's Cherry Blossom Girl collection.







The shades are 01 Cherry Cherry Girl (bright red) and 02 It's Peach, Not Cherry (erm....peach), both with a matte finish.







Natural light




With flash


The flash pic is truer to life - that red is bordering neon, and the peach is an orange-tinged pastel. Both have a matte finish which I find quite drying, and makes well-moisturised and buffed lips a necessity if you don't want every lip line and dry patch showing up.

After trying Revlon, DB and Clinique's similar efforts, I'm pleasantly surprised at how pigmented the shades are, and how thickly they apply in just one swipe. In the above swatches, I've gone over the area just once with the lippie and it's incredibly opaque compared to its pencilly comrades.


Downside to being so easy to work over lips? The pencils are quite soft and wear away quickly. The above pic shows how the lipstick has been worn away on the left side of the tip after just one arm swatch. They're also way too easy to smoosh into the plastic when you're clicking the lid back on (and yes, this happened to me). I have the feeling I'll run through these relatively quickly.

Essence Cherry Blossom Girl Lip Pencils are A$3.50. I reeeeeeally want the paper lashes in the same collection (A$4.50!!) but my office's local Priceline didn't have them in. Frowny face.



You Might Also Like

10 brilliant comments

  1. I saw those but didn't buy because I heard that they clump over lips, and my lips make things clump more than usual already - did you have that problem? I also want the paper lashes, but knowing me I'll rip them when I first try to put them on... but they're so dreamy! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to pick up stuff from the new collection! grr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay tested both colours now - peach does pull and clump and applies really thickly. Cherry is fine, again thick but I could smooth out with my finger and looks good with gloss over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this one is just at Priceline - I know people have had trouble finding it at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first had a look at this collection I really wanted these lip pencils but after reading a few reviews many people were quite disappointed! It's a shame that they wear away quickly and I've heard that the formulation wasn't very pleasant at all. The peach looks like such a pretty colour for the lips though!


    http://reveriebelle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are incredibly pigmented! The orange looks like something I'd gravitate towards but I'm sure both look fab on you :) I looked at another Priceline today but the Essence stand only had stuff from some weird sailor/50s collection which looked positively ancient :( Both of us need the paper lashes stat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the red performs better than the peach, it leaves more of a stain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, that sailor collection is a bit old! The red suits me waaaay better than the peach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow they look so pigmented! the peach one looks really nice and something id try, but they would defs look nice against your skin tone :D

    ReplyDelete

Got a brain bubble? Pop it here.